Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I took the action.. I challenged myself..

My first 10k race distance...   New Route New Distance

AXN Runs Philippines held at F.Ortigas Jr. Road, Pasig City on September 18, 2011

I was so excited about this event that I've even registered on its first week of registration. The long-awaited day came, I woke up early and dressed up quickly so I could arrive at the place ahead of time since I am not familiar with the route and that I could also prepare for a little warm up. As soon as I have arrived at the place, I went straight to the baggage area worrying line might be too long but was glad to see there were few runners standing in line at the designated area for us. Did a little stretching and familiarized myself with the booth camps to know where to head directly upon crossing the finish line to get some freebies haha...

On the race itself, as I've said, I was so excited and was so eager to finish the race but to my complete disbelief, my stomach started to hurt and realized I am suffering from side-stitches to think that I am still on its first kilometer. At first, I tried to ignore it but as I continue along it felt more painful that I've decided to just walk until it passes off. When I was feeling better, I continued with my pace but then again, as I was still recovering here comes the fly over, aw!. My jaw dropped for a second as I did not prepare for an uphill. I felt my left leg hurting... 'oh no shin splints' coming back!' I wanted to cry for help and wanted to go back... call the attention of the waiting paramedics. Crazy, exaggerated thoughts played on my mind.. I thought of smashing myself with the passing trucks so they could just throw me back in, straight to the finish line or just jump over the fly over because I can no longer make a few more steps, I almost wanted to crawl, just lie down and will just wait for someone to pick me up. Silly thoughts it is, but I was freaking out at that moment thinking it was already impossible for me to finish the race. Too many negative thoughts simultaneously precipitated on this head of mine already. But since I was alone, I also realized no one will assist me. "Who will bring me home?".. so I forced my legs to hit a few more strikes and make it to the finish line without being swept due to cut-off time, they've allotted 2 hours for the 10K distance. As I moved along, always looking back if there were still 10K runners slower than me because I was worried I'll be the last finisher but thank God (unselfishly) I could still see some runners behind me. I kept myself busy, misleading the exhaustion and the fatigue lingering all over me, by amusing myself of other runners who were tired as well and almost giving up. They were already shouting and complaining, I saw myself on them. And then finally, I could see the right-turn curve towards the finish line, I felt relief and tried to sprint so I could be done already and rest my sore legs. At last, here it is.. the finish line, I wanted to cry, just like the other first timers (who shared their stories on the runner's homepage) but I can't.. I felt numb and exhausted that my other emotions had been overpowered. I'm disappointed because I finished it for an hour and a half. I was expecting to finish barely an hour and ten but to my dismay, due to many circumstances that kept me from going on, I am now a certified snail-runner. I expected way too much. I went home a few minutes after the race to rest and did not bother to visit other booth camps set.

But thinking on the positive side, it was indeed a great run. Hydration was all over, I did not even stop for 1 to 2 stations because I already feel bloated. Photographers were all over so I kept (or at least tried) on smiling whenever I could spot one of them. Of course photo operation is the best part of every running event. And also, I was able to meet another co-PF Community (Franz aka chowk9).

A bit disaster on my part but no regrets at all. It was still a great run and indeed one of the best runs I had. It's a very challenging experience for a beginner like me.

It was not as big and as prestigious as the runrio events but I salute the organizer (finish line) for a job well done, it's another respectable organizer to look forward to.

my 1st 10K official race result of 1:32.. a big disappointment but swore to get even better on my next 10K race..

No comments:

Post a Comment